Monday, January 18, 2010

"I Have a Dream" by Martin Luther King Jr.

It seemed fitting that my first post would be on the day we celebrate the amazing human rights activist, Martin Luther King Jr., which was never anything I had planned on doing.

It would be wrong to ignore a man that had the same dream that I do. Perhaps he is even the one who got me started on this dream when I was a child. No matter your race, color, your religion, or whatever else, we all deserve to have equal rights. We all deserve to live in a community where we are accepted and loved for the potential that we have and not for what has happened to us in our past.


Below are a few quotes the seemed to hit the message of Love’s Fire the most. I found the entire “I Have a Dream” speech at the following website: http://www.americanrhetoric.com/speeches/mlkihaveadream.htm

“I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character.”

“With this faith, we will be able to hew out of the mountain of despair a stone of hope. With this faith, we will be able to transform the jangling discords of our nation into a beautiful symphony of brotherhood. With this faith, we will be able to work together, to pray together, to struggle together, to go to jail together, to stand up for freedom together, knowing that we will be free one day.”

“And when this happens, when we allow freedom ring, when we let it ring from every village and every hamlet, from every state and every city, we will be able to speed up that day when all of God's children, black men and white men, Jews and Gentiles, Protestants and Catholics, will be able to join hands and sing in the words of the old Negro spiritual:
Free at last! Free at last!
Thank God Almighty, we are free at last”

No comments:

Post a Comment