Sunday, February 14, 2010

Thanks for the Love St. Valentine!

“The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. They must be felt with the heart”. – Helen Keller http://www.history.com/content/valentine/valentine-s-day-quotations  

We celebrate Valentine’s Day in the name of St. Valentine, who was a priest in Rome. He secretly married couples, even though Emperor Claudius II outlawed it because he thought single men made better soldiers. St. Valentine was thrown in jail for his actions. It is believed that he sent a love note to a girl he was in love with while in prison. The valentine was invented when he signed his note: “From your Valentine”. http://www.history.com/content/valentine/history-of-valentine-s-day

I absolutely love Valentine’s Day, which is ironic because I never actually get to celebrate it. I love everything about this day: pink, red, chocolate, flowers, the little valentines you exchanged in elementary school with that one boy who couldn’t resist telling your friend how he felt, so the words “IloveYou” were squished together on the back in the bottom right-hand corner. You know, real “pina colada and getting caught in the rain” type stuff.

However, to me the love that should exist for your partner is really more of a fairy tale. I have imagined what I think it should be like, but it my world it doesn’t exist. I am happy for the lucky others who have turned this fairy tale into a reality.

The other day when I got home from work I saw an older couple walking out of my building. He was holding her hand and helping her down the stairs. Even when the stairs had ended and they reached the even sidewalk, he still continued to hold her hand. That is love. It is rare for couples to make it so long, and to still see the magic in their relationship, just left me in awe.

That is the kind of love that everybody deserves. However, I imagine that that kind of love doesn’t just happen; it takes a lot of work. I wish you all the happiness that comes from a healthy relationship and the strength to make it through the rough times in-between.

For those who are feeling a little neglected during this holiday, a Safety Warning while planning your Boyfriend Bonfire: http://uncutfriendsepisodes.tripod.com/season1/114uncut.htm

1. “Make sure you are in a well-ventilated area”
2. “If you are going to be burning his clothing, you’re going to want to stay away from your synthetic fabrics”
3. “Try to let go of the anger, and learn to love yourself”

1 comment:

  1. I've been wanting to watch the Friend's VDay episodes all day! Now that the kids are asleep, I'm too tired for it . . . bummer! Cute post and thanks for the bonfire tips. I haven't heard any fire truck sirens out there tonight, so your info must have been helful!

    ReplyDelete